I had trouble trying to come up with a name for this post about my parents and their good friends visiting Tyler and I for two weeks as we toured the South Island. The six of us rented a large van and almost did a complete loop, starting from Queenstown and only leaving out the road from Christchurch back to Queenstown. We hit all the major tour stops including Dunedin, Te Anau, Milford Sound, Franz Joseph Glacier, Wananka, The West Coast, Nelson, Marlborough, Hanmer Springs, and all the pretty stops in between. With Tyler as the driver and porter, and Tyler and myself as the translators (“Sweet as what? Nothing mom, it’s just a slang Kiwi word to say great or awesome”) we had a great time spending some a couple weeks with them.
Here is a few ideas for my blog post title that I contemplated with Tyler about their trip to the South Island:
1. Debbie does Dunedin
2. Doctors save lives but can’t fold maps.
3. Silent But Golden
* My Parents friend Jim rarely said much in the car, but when he did it was usually hilarious and left Tyler cracking up
4. The Great Search for the Green Olive
* My mom and her friend Kathy love Vodka martinis but no where on the South Island did a restaurant carry green olives. It got so bad Tyler and I went to the store and bought them and hid them in my purse to whip out a mealtimes. Tacky? maybe but oh so necessary.
5. I Will Have a Double, That is a Double
* My Parents and their friends were a bit disappointed to find out that a double shot of alcohol here was less than a single in the states.
6. The Great Tale of Earl and that Obama Feller
*Our wine tour guide in Marlborough Mattie did a perfect impression of a American from Texas he toured around that insisted Mattie know about this Obama feller.
7. Chicken, Steak, Lamb, or Fish?
* After two weeks we all decided that is the only thing ever on the menu at most restaurants
8. God Dammit Kathy
*My moms friend Kathy loves to swear like a sailor and often =)
9. Siri Outsmarts Smart People.
*It’s OK, technology is hard sometimes.
10. The Cadbury Chocolate Factory Tour, where you don’t actually tour the factory?
*Oh ok no thanks
11. Yes we are American no we do not want to discuss Trump.
It was sad to see them leave after two weeks. I think everyone had a great time and it was fun exploring the South Island with mom and dad. Here are some of my favorite photos of their trip.